The Brackett School

Background of the Brackett SchoolBrackett Elementary School
The Brackett School is named after John Q. A. Brackett, elected governor of Massachusetts in 1890. Brackett lived in Arlington during his term as governor and devoted his life to public service. He graduated from Harvard College in 1865, and Harvard Law School in 1868.

Brackett practiced law in Boston and was active in political and community affairs, speaking out on behalf of the New England Freedmen's and Union Commission. He served on the Boston Common (City) Council and the Massachusetts House of Representatives. He was Speaker of the House from 1884-1886 before his election to lieutenant governor, then governor in 1890. His major legislative accomplishment was the establishment of cooperative banks, formed to encourage thrift among working people.

John Brackett lived at 87 Pleasant Street and participated in Arlington politics and activities until his death in 1918. The original Brackett School was built in 1931 and dedicated in his honor.

Today the Brackett School embodies the same ideals that John Brackett lived by. The school encourages participation and caring collaboration among parents, students and faculty. High expectations exist for involvement with school and community endeavors as well as for a challenging curriculum that offers all students an opportunity to learn, communicate, and grow.